Published on March 2nd, 2017 | by Joe0
Chloe Kim & Scotty James Qualify First in Burton U.S. Open Halfpipe Semi-Finals
Vail, CO (March 2, 2017) —Day two of the 35th annual Burton U.S. Open Snowboarding Championships went off with Chloe Kim (USA) and Scotty James (AUS) taking the top spots inhalfpipe semi-finals. Riders took full advantage of the perfectly sculpted 22-foot superpipe sending massive airs and stomping their most progressive runs under sunny skies at Vail Mountain. Today’s event narrowed the field down to six women and 10 men advancing into Saturday’s halfpipe finals and a chance to compete for the Burton U.S. Open halfpipe title.
Defending 2016 Burton U.S. Open Champion Chloe Kim, posted the top score of the women’s competition with a 79.62 on her first of two qualifying runs. Kim blasted down the pipe with a five hit run linking up a massive backside air, into a frontside 900 tailgrab, a McTwist, and finishing with back-to-back 720s— a frontside 720 Indy into a Cab 720 stalefish. U.S. Snowboarding Team rider Maddie Mastro (USA) took second place earning a score of 78.62, followed by nine-time Burton U.S. Open Champion Kelly Clark (USA) in third with a score of 77.62, setting us up for a heated women’s finals event on Saturday.
The competition in the men’s halfpipe event was intense as the field of 34 of the world’s best riders competed for the 10 finals slots. 2017 X Games halfpipe champion Scotty James continued his winning streak to qualify in first place with a score of 84.74. James linked up a massive backside air, a frontside double cork 1080 stalefish, a Cab double cork 1080 mute, a frontside 900 melon and finished with a backside double cork 1260 mute. Defending 2016 Burton U.S. Open halfpipe champion Shaun White (USA) landed comfortably in second place with a score of 84.49 – setting himself up to go for his seventh U.S. Open halfpipe title. And Ayumu Hirano (JPN) blasted into third place with a score of 78.74.
The Burton U.S. Open halfpipe competition picks up again with the finals on Saturday, March 4th at 11:00am MST. Competition continues tomorrow Friday, March 3rd at 11:00am MST with the men’s and women’s slopestyle finals on Vail’s Golden Peak.
Women’s Halfpipe Semi-Finals Results
- Chloe Kim (USA), BURTON, 79.62
- Maddie Mastro (USA), BILLABONG, 78.62
- Kelly Clark (USA), BURTON, 77.62
- Haruna Matsumoto (JPN), EVOL FOODS, 74.99
- Elena Kuntz-Hight (USA), VOLCOM, 72.37
- Sena Tomita (JPN), HEAD SNOWBOARDS, 67.50
Men’s Halfpipe Semi-Finals Results
- Scotty James (AUS), RED BULL, 84.74
- Shaun White (USA), BURTON, 84.49
- Ayumu Hirano (JPN), NIKE, 78.74
- Pat Burgener (SUI), SAMSUNG, 74.24
- Raibu Katayama (JPN), BURTON, 69.99
- Jake Pates (USA), ROCKSTAR, 69.62
- Iouri Podladtchikov (SUI), MONSTER, 68.75
- David Habluetzel (SUI), RED BULL, 68.62
- Chase Josey (USA), ROCKSTAR, 67.24
- Danny Davis (USA), BURTON, 67.00